6 Things To Learn From A Poker Player - Marketer's Point of View
- QUICK DECISION MAKERS
Poker is a game of skills with unknown players. The 2 cards in hand decide your destiny. They can either make you or break you . It has been observed, poker players are calculative risk takers and quick decision makers.They either pack or take the plunge to play the hand.
For a marketer – it is very important to have the same ability as a poker player to take quick decisions for your marketing campaign.Measure the pro's and cons before taking a spree. Keep your gut feel or egocentric approach (if you have any) or an attitude “I CANT FAIL” attitude behind and focus on the organizational interest . Quick responsive decision making powers changes the approach of an individual to " I have not failed , I just found 10,000 ways that wont work".
- PLAN YOUR MOVES
Moves in Poker - Game of skills is planned on various facts:
- Are cards strong enough vs the cards on the table vs the competition? Skill to observe and predict.
- What do the others have ?
- How much should I bet?
- Should I risk it , if yes then how much?
A marketer needs to look into these similar aspects for a successful campaign:
- Is it the right time to launch the product , if yes then what is the competition upto . Observe the reaction of the consumers and have the market study at the back of your hand.
- A great saying “ KEEP YOUR ENEMY CLOSER” , they bring out the best in you .Its important to keep a track on your competition because it just helps you plan your move better.
- How much to plan for the marketing campaign? Your investment is the real game. Invest to get higher returns. Break even doesn’t work in today’s scenario.
- Your quick decision making ability will give you the strength to take risks in your marketing campaign. Calculating your risk will be the key.
As stated earlier, if you don’t keep your enemy closer, you have lost half the battle. Healthy competition with a positive attitude, will give you a remarkable and unusual ideas which will turn around the tables for a marketer similar to the game of POKER.
- TRICK OF THE TRADE
Be unpredictable, but be confident. Confuse the opponents. You will observe that at a Poker table , most of the players have no expressions , no reactions , truly they have mastered – A POKER FACE. No face expressions keeps the others guessing and hence the game going.
As a marketing professional do everything possible to have a great campaign but keep a POKER FACE . If you are unpredictable, you have won half the battle. Over excitement and enthusiasm at times can be harmful.
I have learnt this the hard way.
- INVEST LESS AND EARN MORE
That’s a human nature . To invest less and earn more , its important that you don’t play all the moves. Play your best hand , to get the best results . Too much of everything is bad anyways.
- KNOW WHEN TO PULL BACK
Never let your EQ ride over your professionalism, be it POKER or MARKETING. If things not working then pull back when necessary to avoid further damages.